Organic food IS more expensive, so why should you buy it?
1. Chemicals such as fungicides, herbicides and insecticides are widely used in conventional agriculture and resides remain on (and in) the food we eat.
Pesticides and other toxins have been linked to low birth weight in babies, neuro- and behavioral problems, disrupted hormone function, and fertility problems.
A study from 2018 in France showed that people who regularly ate organic food over 4.5 years were 25% less likely to get cancer
One teaspoon of healthy soil contains 600 million to 1 billion helpful bacteria from 15,000 species
One tsp of soil treated with chemicals contains as few as 100 helpful bacteria
2. Organic food is often fresher because it doesn't contain preservatives that make it last longer.
3. Organic food is non GMO
4. Growing organically keeps our water clean--pesticide run off from conventional farming causes pollution to the environment and gets into our water supply
5. Organic practices protect animals and pollinators
6. Organic practices protect our land: Soil erosion promotes flooding, drought, and excess dust in the air. Sustainable farming methods used on organic farms help control soil erosion.
7 Organic practices slow climate change
The Rodale Institute Farming Systems Trial has compared conventional and organic farming since 1981 and their findings support, "If only 10,000 medium sized farms converted to organic production, they would store so much carbon in the soil that it would be equivalent to taking 1,174,400 cars off the road, or reducing car miles driven by 14.62 billion miles."